Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a technology leader to lead an engineering team responsible for the diverse portfolio of Database technologies which power our online games. Database Engineering architects, deploys, maintains, and tunes all technologies which store our critical customer, game play, and development related data.
The Database Engineering team currently is responsible for technologies in use at Blizzard such as Cassandra, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, but is easily able to pivot and support new technologies that the business requires to operate. The team is always ready to adapt to changing requirements by our game team customers, and work with them to engineer and support the technology which best supports a new product’s development.
The Director of Database Engineering will be ultimately responsible not only for the ongoing maintenance and support of technologies and systems currently in production, but also working with game development teams to constantly re-evaluate their technology stack to assure that it is optimal for the service we provide to our customers. Building relationships is key; an ideal candidate will be able to establish a rapport with Technical Directors and Server Engineering Leads across the company, enabling a cooperative relationship between Database Engineers in IT and the engineers who design the applications which power our online games.
- Primary responsibility for the health and performance of all critical persistent database technologies at Blizzard, including Cassandra, MySQL (InnoDB, Cluster), Oracle/Exadata, Couchbase, and others.
- Management of public cloud database services such as Amazon DynamoDB, Google Spanner
- Strategic planning, road mapping, and setting vision for the team
- Overseeing technical projects that align with higher business and department goals
- Planning and managing all types of budgets, capital and operational expenditures, including hardware purchases, software contracts, support contracts, as well as personnel and headcount
- Collaborating with partner and customer teams on the architecture and health of their environments
- Mentor, grow, motivate, and develop the team
- Identifying opportunities for innovation by studying new products and industry trends
- Fostering a culture of success and continual improvement
- A strong foundation in relational and non-relational DB theory
- Experience with a wide range of technologies; able to draw upon past direct and indirect experience to successfully guide a large team to success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to coach and develop managers and individual contributors in their organization successfully
- Forward thinking attitude and resistance to complacency, focusing on long term goals and what IT at Blizzard will look like in years to come
- Uptime-focused – our services are always available, performant, and reliable
- Able to resolve conflicts or disagreements in a win-win fashion across all their sub teams
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in information technology
- A minimum of 5 years of experience leading teams in tech
- Previous experience in database administration
- Experience with application development, specifically interfacing with the database
- Experience leading a large customer facing database infrastructure supporting millions of end users
- Experience working in an environment with multiple international teams around the globe
- Degree in a relevant technology-related discipline
- A passion for making Blizzard games the best in the world
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!